During the holidays we tend to forget our diets (and self-restraint) and gorge on food and drinks. Our bodies usually feel the effects after the holiday season. If you’re feeling bloated or lethargic, it’s probably time to heed your body and to start detoxing.
Here are the 5 easiest and most effective ways to detoxify your body.
- Drink Plenty of Water. Our bodies are 70% water. The water level in our bodies affect our mental performance and physical coordination. It is also needed to metabolize proteins and carbohydrates used as food, it is needed to flush out toxins from our body through urine, and it carries oxygen and nutrients to cells. Which is why you need to drink plenty of it. You need to drink at least half a gallon of water every day. Coffee, soda and other forms of liquid are not a good substitute because they contain sugar and caffeine.
- Get Enough Sleep. As simple as it may sound, most of us do not get the recommended 7 to 9 hours of sleep each night. We may be busy with too many things, but remember that our bodies need to rest, too. It is during nighttime when we sleep, that our bodies start to repair itself. The cortisol or the stress hormone level decreases, and the immune system releases a type of small proteins called cytokines which help our body fight inflammation, infection and trauma.
- Sweat it Out. Did you know that gym memberships peak at the beginning of the year? No doubt it’s because of a people trying to fulfill their new year’s resolution. Any physical activity, like jogging, swimming or cycling – even Yoga or Pilates is good for you. Exercise helps your body excrete toxins more efficiently, and burn fat faster.
- Eat Right. It’s something that we hear so many times, but this is so hard to follow. We are constantly bombarded by images food. We see them on television and on social media all the time. Not only are they visible, they are also very accessible. Donuts, ice cream, and pizza – you name it. Most of us cannot walk more than three blocks from our home or office without seeing a restaurant selling them. And they even deliver. But we have to remember that these sugary confections, these fat and preservative laden fare do not provide any nutrition to our body. We have to ditch sugar, fat and preservatives if we want to be healthy. Instead of snacking on a donut, have a salad instead. Eat fruits and fresh vegetables. Your body will thank you for it.
- Be Consistent. Do not expect instant result. Think of this a total change of lifestyle. Making sure that our bodies are healthy and functions at its optimum level takes time and dedication. But the reward is priceless.