Citrus limon or lemon is perhaps one of the most useful fruits. Its uses are so many and varied from cooking to baking, to beauty, health, and even detox.
History for this wonderful fruit is unknown though some would say that it originated in Asia (China, India or Burma) and was brought to Southern Italy during Ancient Rome before it was introduced to other countries such as Persia, Iraq, and Egypt. Christopher Columbus brought lemon seeds to America in 1493 and the rest you can say is history.
Here are benefits of lemon
- Lemon, when added to water is perfect for cleansing. It aids in hydrating and is a good source of Vitamin C.
- It not only improves the quality of your skin but helps in weight loss and digestion.
- A half cup of lemon juice in a day helps in preventing the formation of kidney stones.
- It’s a great neutralizer for odors. You can remove foul odors with just a slice of lemon.
- They are also a good source of other vitamins and minerals such as vitamin B6, magnesium, calcium, iron, thiamin, copper, potassium, just to name a few.
- It has anti oxidants like beta carotene, zeaxanthin, lutein, and beta-cryptoxanthin.
- When mixed with honey, it is one of the most effective cold remedies.
- A fresh squeeze of lemon juice on your toothache helps get rid of the pain.
- Applying the juice on your scalp help rid of dandruff and hair loss. It also makes your hair extra shiny.
- Lemon is a natural antiseptic. It eases the pain from bee sting, sun burn, and even eczema.
- It’s an anti-aging product that helps remove blackheads and wrinkles.
- It can be used as an antiseptic and aromatic product for foot relaxation.
- It aids in respiratory disorders, cholera, and rheumatism.
- Lemon rinds are used in cooking and baking.
- People who drink lemon juice regularly are less likely to suffer from heart problems and hypertensions.
With its varied uses, it’s practical to plant your own lemon tree in the backyard now. Its benefits far outweighed the hassle of planting a tree.