Are You Giving Yourself Wrinkles?
You may not know it, but a lot of the aging of the skin is caused my sun damage and smoking, but there are also some daily habits than can cause premature skin aging. Wrinkles do not have to be a necessity! Actually, keeping them at bay should be. So let’s get into the dirty details, shall we?
- Not wearing sunglasses can cause a permanent furrow or wrinkle in between the brows, due to squinting. The sun’s rays are extremely bright, and I always recommend putting those Ray Bans on (or whatever brand you are into!)
- Drinking through straws causes wrinkles to form around the lips. This repeated motion causes the breakdown of collagen which creates permanent creases. You don’t have to do away with them all together, but daily can be detrimental to those beautiful lips.
- Resting your face in your hands is not only unsanitary (unless you are washing your hands every few minutes), but can create creases and wrinkles in that same spot! The pressure causes a breakdown of collagen and elastin fibers in the skin that keeps our skin taut. Side sleepers can cause wrinkles in their face due to the repeated pressure of pressing their face in the pillow. Decollete or chest wrinkles and in-between the breasts can be caused by this sleep position. That goes for face down sleepers as well! Sleeping on the back is the most recommended position.
Eating too much refined sugar can cause wrinkles? YES! Refined sugar isn’t just bad for your health — it’s bad for your skin, too. Eating too much sugar causes glycation, a process that occurs when your body has an excessive amount of sugar. This affects the normal function of your cells as the excess sugar molecules join together with protein molecules to create products that are foreign to your body, also known as advanced glycation end products (AGEs). Theses AGEs affect collagen and elastin, causing them to break down. As a result, wrinkles and lines form on your face. The bottom line: It’s best to skip the refined sugar whenever possible.
- Turning up the Central Heat and Air can cause drying out of the skin. Moisture keeps our skin taut and hydration is extremely important. When the heat or air conditioner is constantly going, it can suck the hydration from the skin. Keep your skin moisturized, and also using a humidifier in your bedroom as you sleep can help keep wrinkles at bay! And let’s not forget internal hydration. Drinking at least half your body weight in ounces of water daily will ensure you are getting the proper hydration necessary to prevent dehydration, which can cause illness. Nobody looks refreshed when they are sick ; )
- Chewing gum daily can cause a breakdown of collagen in the skin and cause wrinkles to be formed around the mouth and cheeks, due to the excessive action of using those muscles. Need fresh breath? Keep some mouthwash with you and swish swish when you feel the need. Less muscles used, and probably better for your teeth as well.
So, anything in the above list that you’re guilty of? I hope this helps you out, and if you would like help reversing some of these wrinkles that have been formed, see your esthetician ASAP and begin to eliminate these daily practices, use great skincare products regularly, and be kind to your skin. You only get one.
Yours In Beauty,
Carolina Eye Candy Beauty & Relaxation Lounge